Dr Elizabeth M. Gresson is a New Zealand Barrister at Vulcan Chambers, Barristers at Law, Vulcan Lane, Auckland NZ. http://www.vulcanchambers.co.nz/
Emeritus Professor of RMIT University Melbourne Australia [elizabethgrierson.com]
- PhD, Doctor of Philosophy (Auckland)
- JD, Juris Doctor Distinction (RMIT Melbourne)
- MA, Master of Ars 1st Cl Hons (Auckland)
- BA, Bachelor of Arts (Auckland)
- GDLP, Graduate Diploma Legal Practice (Coll of Law Victoria)
- Dip.Tchg. Diploma of Teaching (Auckland)
- LSB, Licentiate Diploma (NZ Speech Board)
- ATCL, Associate Diploma (Trinity College London).
- Life Fellow Royal Society of Arts for Arts, Manufacturers, Commerce.
Australia: Elizabeth was admitted as a lawyer at Supreme Court of Victoria. As an Australian Legal Practitioner she worked on civil negligence claims, criminal law, working with children regulations. General legal issues arising in her university management included employment law, discrimination, harassment, cyberbullying, stalking, intellectual property, defamation, dispute resolution.
Dr Elizabeth Gresson Australian Lawyer with Nicholas Gresson QSM and Dr Mark Williams Australian Legal Practitioner, Supreme Court of Victoria, Melbourne 2016.
Europe: Undertook intensive term at Aarhus University Jutland, on Danish and European Union legal, social and political systems.
New Zealand: Elizabeth was admitted to the Roll of the High Court of New Zealand, at Auckland as a Barrister and Solicitor under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act. She is a Barrister sole at Vulcan Chambers in Auckland CBD, Dr Elizabeth Gresson Barrister Gresson Law
Elizabeth entered law from a significant career as a university academic in New Zealand and Australia.
Elizabeth was an academic at AUT in NZ for 10 years, RMIT University Australia for 10 years, a Visiting Research Fellow in Brighton, England for a year. She has wide international experience in Australia, UK, Europe, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea.
Highly successful doctorate supervisor & examiner. Well known for her abilities as a speaker and advocate. Has represented New Zealand internationally in public speaking; won national awards for debating and public speaking; and is sought after as a speaker.
Elizabeth speaks at law and education conferences and symposia in Australia and New Zealand, and is well published. [Research page]
Orcid ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7102-1464
Elizabeth relates well to all kinds of people. She has a commitment to justice for fair outcomes of any legal dispute. Elizabeth listens well, communicates clearly, understands legal issues, goes to the heart of a legal problem, gives clear advice, and is known to go the extra mile for her clients.
Because she has been an educator for years she knows how to explain legal issues clearly to her clients. They appreciate it. Feedback is positive.
- Judicial supervision at Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, Melbourne; therapeutic jurisprudence approaches to criminal law, and specialist problem-solving courts, Koori Court, Assessment Referral Court (Mental Health), Neighbourhood Justice Centre Collingwood, and Victorian Alcohol and Drug Court Dandenong.
- Invited researcher, Court of Appeal Registry, ‘efficacy project’; analyse and assess the efficacy of Interlocutory Appeals in Criminal jurisdiction at Supreme Court of Victoria, Court of Appeal. 120 appeal cases were analysed. The research was collated into a confidential report to inform the Chief Justice of Supreme Court of Victoria.
- Appearances in criminal jurisdiction at District Courts of Auckland, Manukau, Waitakere, North Shore, and the Auckland High Court;
- Successful sentencing outcomes; applications to achieve discharge without conviction for clients, per section 106 of the Sentencing Act 2002; applications for section 94 community based sentence instead of disqualification of licence under Land Transport Act 1998;
- Successful ‘third strike’ sentencing submission at High Court under Three Strikes law, advancing “manifestly unjust” exception to maximum term of imprisonment without parole;
- Appeal submissions, High Court of Auckland;
- Criminal law matters; pleas, sentencing submissions, opposed bail applications, successful EM bail applications and bail variations;
- Judge alone trials; pre-trial submissions for trial by jury;
- Assists clients with mental health issues, seek forensic reports, work with mental health teams;
- Claims for relief from forfeiture orders, Criminal Proceeds (Recovery) Act, High Court Auckland;
- Opinions on human rights issues for Refugee and Protection claims;
- Advise on Immigration law, Partnership Visas;
- Customs and Excise Act, searches, privacy issues;
- Advice for arts law; intellectual property; publishing, defamation;
- Education legal issues, employment, bullying, harassment;
- Harmful digital communications, cyber-bullying;
- Opinions on laws of privilege;
- Domestic and family violence matters;
- Successful defences of prosecutions under Dog Control Act.